Thursday, May 15, 2008

Going to Colorado - I'm a finalist for a percent for art commission and a sculpture for the upcoming Yew Dell show

I am a finalist for a public art commission ($55,000.00) in Colorado. I will be flying there on Sunday and will give my proposal on Monday. Can't show any pictures or tell anything about what I am proposing, so I'll show you what I have been working on for a sculpture show for Yell Dell Gardens in Anchorage,Ky . The show opens June 6th and runs through the 26th of June. This scupture began with a limestone block that Don started to work on and then abandoned. I hated to see that stone go to waste, so I tried working up a design that would fit into the remaining stone.
Here you can see I have crayoned on the basic design which will be a dancer, leaping. The inspiration for the piece was a stick caught in a spider web that if you squinted just right,
might have been a person leaping with this stuff trailing at the back. I guess you had to be there.
Here is the beginning of the figure. I had a small oil clay model to help me determine where everything was and what I needed to remove. This is the ugly stage of the sculpture. Just got to have faith that the form you want is in there, somewhere....
Another view of the dancer as he emerges.

No comments: