Sunday, November 29, 2009

Studio Move and birds

I am moving the studio from one space to another (but the batteries are dead in the camera). I'll post pics in the next blog. In the meantime, I'm posting some of my photos that I find interesting.
After the dedication of the Home of the Innocents sculptures, we walked around Cave Hill Cemetery. I was amazed to see a Woodcock there. I didn't think they would be in the city.

I feed birds on the window sill of the studio, and so I have a lot of birds that come up to eat. This is, of course, a Blue Jay.

The other day, I opened the window of the studio to let out a huge number of ladybugs (should have taken a photo of that, ah well). I left the window open for several hours as it was a nice day, and this wren came in the window. It was really checking out the room, looking all over the place. It perched in front of the mirror, started singing, then attacked it's reflection -twice. It eventually left the room and I shut the window.



I took a walk down to the creek in the evening. I managed to catch this shot of a heron flying past at sunset.




While I was walking by the creek I took this photo of the moon and trees. It may look a little odd, actually it's a reflection. I have flipped the image horizontally to make it appear an actual shot of the trees...

I accompanied Don to Victor Oolitic when he went up to pick out some stone. While he looked around for something, I took photos of the stone blocks. Here I am looking through a stack of blocks at the sky.

I found this guy on one of the blocks, no idea what kid of beetle it is, but I thought he was pretty cool...

I found this miniature landscape on one of the blocks in the quarry. This formation in limestone is called Stylolite.


As we head towards winter there's not a lot of interesting things to photograph close-up. But this plant gone to seed looked interesting, with the sun behind it...

2 comments:

RJ said...

some of these would look excellent hanging on the wall. mpix makes a really great "gallery wrap" using canvas.

when pictures can become talking pieces (ie. "look close, it's actually a reflection on water") - I think that's a neat bonus.

if you don't already have one, I think a digital SLR (with a good lens) would be a fun investment for you. in the case you need advice on what to get, I know some peoples.

as always, thanks for the photos!

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys, Thanks for all the nice posts. I have seen woodcocks in the city on several occasions. Almost stepped on one in my front yard! Happy Winter Solstice and assorted holidays to you!