Sunday, November 27, 2011

A departure

On rainy days when I can't work on Daphne I've worked on Ophelia. Now she is almost finished - there are just a few areas that need tweaking.


In the last blog posting I used the hydraulic chainsaw to remove sections of stone from a sculpture I will be working on in the near future, entitled Memory. As the weather will soon get cold I thought I should use the chainsaw as much as I can.



I have a sculpture planned for this stone and have roughed out a model for it. I have made marks (the white lines) with a small grinder on the areas that will need to be removed.



After I make a cut I put wedges into the cut and hammer them in until the stone cracks.


Then I use a pry bar to move them out of the way. Don took these last two shots.



I cut wide of the final form with the saw. I use the angle grinder to get closer to the form. It's not nearly as heavy as the chainsaw so I have a lot more control over the cut.


Here is a view from the side...



and from the front. Lots more work to go....






A wasp sippin soda...

No comments: