Daphne has been turned to the south so that I can finish different areas on her right side which had faced to the north and was for the most part in shadow. She now has sunlight evenly on both sides of her and will help a great deal in completing her.
In addition to turning to the south Daphne has also been lowered -where before she had been raised nearly 2 feet off the ground she is now about 9 inches above the ground. The height made it difficult to get to areas in the top center of the piece. Now that she is lower I can easily access them.
I am going over the entire body of the heron adding subtle texture and defining forms. I felt the lower part of the face was a little heavy and needed some definition under the lower beak.
I put all the leaves together around a wooden dowel. The dowel fits into the base of the heron so that the leaves can be added and checked to make sure the look is what I want. I also made them this way so they can be molded separately from the heron. Trying to mold everything together would have been difficult.
I added long feathers to the heron's back. I added a bit of clay to fill in around the long feathers. I still need to even out the clay and get a good texture. The feathers aren't as symmetrical as I'd like, I need to fix that...