Monday, October 13, 2014

Refining the Lion


The crayon marks show the areas I need to remove or define. The marks are for the view from the front.

How these marks look from each side the lions right...

The lions left.  I need to drop the eyes further back but I will establish the eyes from the front first.

The lion roughed in.

I want to angle the paw outward and make a note to myself on the stone.  This will entail not only angling out the lower leg, I will have to move the knee out as well by removing stone from inside the leg.

I begin defining areas while I am still a bit high and off the form of the final sculpture.  That way I can see if I like the way it looks before I commit to it.  By carving one area (head, leg, etc.) only partially then moving on to another area I can come back to the first with "fresh eyes" and be able to correct mistakes and make a better piece (hopefully).

At the top of the rock I have made a cut where I will angle the stone back so that rain water will drain to the back of the stone. 

This is the back view of the sculpture after I have cut down the top of the stone and beveled the top on both the side and back.  I will then cut down the other side of the sculpture.

This is a view of the top of the back of the sculpture.  I need to steepen the slope and bevel the edges.


This is Denny Crum competing in a fly casting competition at Cabela's Sporting Goods in Louisville KY.  The local chapter of the Trout Unlimited hosted the competition.  There are 5 hoops in the parking lot which you have to aim for, you have to cast to each one twice.  I was in the competition myself, though I have fished for years it had been a while since I have cast a lure so I was way off the targets...

This is a multicolored window covering as seen through a metal architects rule (triangular ruler).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice progression of images...I can see the American Lion coming together. Never knew you could fly fish. Have you followed up on your chainsaw art intro?

Meg said...

Thanks Artist @ Exit 0, I have been obsessed with fishing since I was a kid - I started fly fishing in my twenties. I haven't done any more with the chainsaw art, though it was fun and much, much faster than stone.