Sunday, June 8, 2008

Rocky Mountain National Park

This is what you see not long after you enter Rocky Mountain National Park. This area is called Horseshoe park. My first destination is to see how far up I can get on Trail Ridge Rd. It is the highest through road in the lower 48 states, reaching a peak of 12,183 feet. The road is closed in the winter months and won't open until May 23rd. My visit was on May 20th. Just missed the opening by a few days, rats. But lets see how far up I can get.
The termperature in Aurora was in the 80s, in the park it was in the 60s, but as I progress up Trail Ridge Road and gain in elevation, I get into snow....
I pause to take photos of the snow in the pine trees.
I have gotten up above tree line here and the snow is pretty deep. Thought I'd take a photo with the car for scale...
I got as far up as Forest Canyon Overlook which is 11,716 high. This is the view down to the trees.
For me, this is just beautiful territory. There's just something about mountains.......

No comments: