Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The trip to Estes Park

After the meeting was concluded I headed to the mountains, as I could hear them calling. My Journey took me north to Loveland and then west, my destination, Estes Park. I unfortunately took the first exit for Loveland (needed to take the second exit and take 34 into Estes Park)and so instead of a straight shot from Loveland to Estes Park, I met a series of Ts in which I had to make a decision, left or right. When the direction was either east or west the decision was fairly obvious, head towards the mountains. When the direction was north or south I was less certain, but figuring I was too far south, I chose North, and it somehow worked out. I would be hopelessly lost if I tried to find my way back that way. I was so happy when I finally saw the Estes Park mileage sign. Only 20 miles!
The twenty miles up to Estes Park winds through a canyon with a stream to one side.
This is one of the many photos I took on my way up to Estes Park. It seemed that around every turn, and there are lots of turns, there was some view that begged to be photographed. It made for a long, slow 20 miles. But as I was alone I didn't have to hear a lot of sighing from the other side of the car.Don and I have stayed at the Discovery Lodge (formerly The Hobby Horse) when we have visited Estes Park in the past and I was hoping they would have a vacancy in one of the rooms that has a balcony - there are not many of these (only about 8). And yes! there's one available -only $50.00!
The view from my balcony. Out there, beyond that sign and the town of Estes Park is Rocky Mountain National Park. And I'm going there tomorrow morning! See ya in the next post....

No comments: