Saturday, January 17, 2009

Daphne refinement and photos of ice

I am finishing up Daphne, refining areas all over the piece; the body, limbs and leaves. I am experimenting with different textures for the trunk of the tree.
It is slow work finishing up the leaves, I want to have as much movement as possible.
I have spent a lot of time working out areas inside the piece, smoothing out chisel textures, etc.
I will refine the leaves further, but I have to be careful not to get the sculpture too fragile as it will have to be loaded onto a truck when goes to its new home.

Last spring I took a lot of macro photos of flowers. Now that it is winter, the flowers are all gone, but there is still beauty to be found, you just have to look close...
This is a photo of frost - the temperature was about 5 degrees, and I saw pockets of large crystals in the grass.

This is a closeup of a leaf in a frozen pond.

A tiny forest of ice crystals

An oak leaf in a frozen pond.

No comments: