Saturday, January 10, 2009

A winters walk by the creek

It snowed Wednesday and I took a walk by the creek. Here's what I saw...I am standing at the top of the hill next to the barn. The property is bordered by Yellowbank Creek. Yellowbank Wildlife Management Area is on the other side of the creek.



Some berries in the snow. I don't know what the plant is.

The path to the creek, highlighted by the snow.

The path runs next to the creek.
An island is part of the property. It is roughly 1/2 acre in size.

The point of the island. It catches alot of the logs that drift down stream.
A beaver has chewed down this tree....

A view of the creek between the main property and the island(on the left. The channel of the creek runs on the other side and is very deep. The water here is a little over knee-deep. I've waded over to the island, but not today...
A big storm a few years ago took this tree down...

Raccoon tracks

A wood duck nest box put up by the state. This is on an island that is part of Yellowbank. Deer regularly bed down on these islands in the summer, I've watched them swim back in the evening.


Looking across the creek to Yellowbank WMA


Our neighbors, the Mitchells, farm.


Otey, one of three donkeys, wonders what I'm doing....

A fresh water mussel munched by an otter.

A big old tree


Another big old tree with a very long branch.


No comments: