Sunday, February 20, 2011

A new sculpture and the first signs of spring


I started a new sculpture of Ophelia. I have marked with crayon where the face will be, and the general pattern of the hair.

I have established the face and made general movements of the hair with a grinder and die-grinders.

I have further refined the face and am starting to make deeper cuts, to add shadows in the hair.

We have a pile of stone that have been cut off from various jobs by the chainsaw. I think there is potential in these 3 stones. But what, well, you'll have to wait for the next post.

Tristan Hutchison, a neighbor, directs his father, Mike, who is loading one of two stones for Chris Mozier and Mike McCarthy.

A deer is visiting our bird feeder.

A couple of weeks ago, we had temperatures below zero and the result were these frost crystals on a vine near the creek.

It has warmed up a lot since then, and I was out looking for signs of new life. These Springtail looked like pepper sprinkled on the water; they are so tiny.

This is a sure sign of spring, Daffodils pushing up through the earth.

And what's this? It's peach soda in a blue glass - see the unusual in the everyday.

2 comments:

Thomas said...

Just wanted to say your sculptures and photos are beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing them with the world :)

Meg said...

I really appreciate the positive feedback on my work. Means a lot.