Sunday, February 27, 2011

A new sculpture, Ophelia, Daphne and University of Louisville talk


I have decided to make a stacked sculpture utilizing these 3 blocks. I will leave the shape of the blocks as they are, and carve a woman in the right hand side. Her dress and hair are blowing in the wind; blending into the stone.

I start by marking out the dimensions of the top block. It is missing stone on the left side, so I plan on having the woman's lifted arm in the right hand side. The measurement is 1/2 the size of the block.

I start the model by creating a head.

I work the figure up, checking my dimensions to make sure that she fits in the block.

Here she is with hair...

...and a dress...

I photographed the model and used the pictures to transfer the image to the stone. At this point, I am using the model as a reference, but if I can get a better feel by a freehand sketch, so be it. I cut sections of stone to be removed with a 4" angle grinder and a diamond wheel.

I cut the profile of the face with the 4 inch angle grinder and cut across the block, to establish the body and find the arm.

Meanwhile, Ophelia progresses...

Daphne has been patiently waiting her turn, and I will soon be able to finish her. We had to move her when work was being done on the new studio, and this was the safest place. But, she's too close to the building for me to work on the back of her, so I have to move her out. Which we will do shortly...

Don and I visited Dick and Ardi Wilson, who are interested in commissioning a couple of sculptures, though I won't be able to do anything for them until the end of summer. Don and Dick stand just to the side of a potential site...

Don and I gave a talk at U of L for the Public Art Class which is taught by Ed Hamilton, who created the Lincoln sculpture on the Waterfront in Louisville. This is Matt Weir, his assistant and a friend of ours, who did the tiger sculpture for Saint X High School.

Here we are - Matt, Ed and Don - after the talk.

Elwood by the creek.

A close-up of a tree's bark....

No comments: