Monday, October 3, 2011

Daphne and a lizard


I am working on Daphne's right arm, shaping the forearm and refining the upper arm. I use a diamond burr on a die grinder to do this. I, then, go back with a pistol grip sander and 12o grit sandpaper. I use the sander on edge to get the area smoothed out, and then, go back and hand sand the area with 80 grit paper. I do this on an overcast day. The even light helps me to see the form on the right side of the sculpture.

I usually go wide of the form. I see the arm needs a little more definition in the forearm. I will work on other areas (leaves, etc.) and come back later with fresh eyes.
This is an area of leaves near the base on Daphne's left. I have been refining the area and adding shadows. Just needs a little work here and there..

I use a die grinder with a mounted stone, to make interesting areas inside the sculpture.

Daphne from the front. I work on her late in the day, so that I can have the even light of an overcast day. This helps me to see the areas of the face and the right side of the sculpture.

I have been working around the base of the sculpture. I am utilizing the existing form in the stone, and changing it here and there to add interest.

Don was moving architectural salvage and found this tiny Fence Lizard. It was a cold morning and it was pretty sluggish, so I held it until it warmed up and ran away...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.