Monday, July 15, 2013

Discovery continues, work on the left and right hands, the head and the leg


This is the left hand of Discovery.  Don has partially cut the top profile.

Don has completely cut the top profile of the hand.

Don has blocked the entire hand and is now cutting the profile of the underside of the hand.



He is finished blocking the left hand, soon I will be carving the form of the hand.

I have caved in the fingers of the right hand.  I have begun removing excess stone  from around the thumb back to the wrist.

I cut the fingers a bit wide at first, now I cut them closer in to where the form should be.

I mark the knuckles in lumber crayon.  I will cut around them to define them and create the fingers.

The thumb and index finger were too wide and I have narrowed them somewhat.  The wrist is still thick and the entire hand needs a good deal of refinement.

While I work on the head,Don smooths out the stone below the right hand.  The earthwork and sod will follow the line of the hand.  I need to conscious of the this when I refine the base to make sure that the stone does not interfere with the sod.

Don and I moved the head into the studio so that I can work out of the sun or rain. I have begun establishing the hair on the right side of her face.

I have also begun taking off escess stone from the back of Discovery's head.

Now I need to start removing stone from the back of her head.

Don uses the hydraulic chainsaw to remove stone from the leg.

He then erected a structure over the leg so that he can have shade while he blocks it.

This is a really interesting insect that found it's way into the house, it was over 3 inches long.  I put it outside so that the cats wouldn't get it.

A couple of frogs, one relaxes on the slate, the other enjoys a soak.































No comments: