Sunday, August 25, 2013

carving the foot of the Discovery Muse

I began carving the details of the foot, this is the leg/foot blocked out by Don

I cut about 4" off the top of the leg to match the top line of the model. I have done this in two passes.  I am starting at the pinky side of the foot and will work over to the big toe.

A view from the left side of the foot of how I am cutting across the stone.  I have also cut an angle across the end of the foot where the toes will be.

I have removed the excess stone on top of the foot, now I am determining where the pinky toe is.  The side of the foot is still very thick and flat.  I have crayoned where I need to cut an angle from the top of the foot to the side.  I have also marked the line of the sole of the foot. I will use a larger angle grinder for big areas but I will have to use a 4 1/2" angle grinder for areas around the sole of the foot and toes.

You can compare to the above photo and see the areas of the foot I have removed.

I cut the toes with a large angle grinder making the shapes larger than they will ultimately be.

With the smaller angle grinder I cut corners off the little toe and begin shaping across the sole of the foot.

I have also started removing stone from around the heel.

It's starting to look foot-like

I have removed stone from around the heel and begin to cut into the arch.  I have marked where the toes will be.

A glass of water..


No comments: