Sunday, March 2, 2014

Earthwork for the Muse

It took a while to get the arms in proper relation to the head. I have to consider the hands position to the face as the Muse is to be looking at the person sitting in the hand.  The left arm needs to be in a correct position - I have to consider where the upper arm is and where the elbow should be so that the end result looks natural.

The knee is then put into place.  I walk all around the sculpture to make sure the knee is placed properly, coming out from the leg and hip which as yet, does not exist.

At last the limestone sections are in their proper relation. Next comes the earth.

Many truckloads of earth were brought in to create the body of the Muse.

An irrigation system is then added to the earthwork.  It will irrigate the groundcover and sod at regular intervals.

The soil is being compacted.


I am sitting next to the builders of the Muse (all the way over to the left). The Orlando Sentinel had a photo of me doing a little work scraping down some of the dirt and gave the impression I had done all the work of shaping the body.  Well, I want to correct that error.  These are the guys who created the body of the Muse.  They are from the left, next to me -Alvin Gilreath, Calvin Kuntz, Sharod Smith, Rocky Lane, Tim Johnson, James Bennett, Pat Coffin and Fred Walker. They had a very intuitive feel for creating her, I had to do little direction. They were a great to work with, many thanks!

Irrigation is added in front of the Muse....

and she gets a refreshing shower.  Next will come the groundcover.

This amazing Live Oak tree is located just north of downtown Orlando.

4 comments:

daytripr101 said...

I am th4 crane operator that set the pieces in place for this piece of art. It was interesting to say the least. I like projects like this, one of a kind pieces that cant be replaced. I was wondering if you knew of any other pictures that were taken of this work or any of the others. There was a photog at each one as we put them up but I cannot find any place the pictures have been placed.

daytripr101 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meg said...

Hi Daytrip101,
I don't know where photos taken during the installation of the different sculptures might be. If you email me at info@megwhitesculpture.com then I can put you in touch with someone who may know.