Sunday, January 18, 2015

This is the back of the Lion sculpture.  The left side as been beveled, I plan to also bevel the right side as well as increasing the angle on the top of the stone so that more rainwater runs off the back of the piece rather than the front and sides. 

Rain is running down the side of the piece and along the leg (which I don't want)/  The dark area around the Lion's elbow is where rain has run down the sculpture and has frozen there.  By diverting more rainwater to the back of the piece I hope to eliminate much rain coming down in this area.

I need to define the inside of the foot and deepen the shadow between the leg and body.

The ears and muzzle need more refinement.

This photo shows how the deep cut I made around the Lion to separate it from the ledge above also diverts rain water around the sculpture.  The streaking on the ledge was caused by rain washing off the dust from the top of the stone.  Before I made the cut around the lion rain would leave streaks across the body of the Lion.  Not anymore.   Pretty neat.

I just got a casting of "Flight" back from Art Castings Foundry in Loveland Colorado.  I plan on doing a 12 foot tall version some day.  This will be your view as you walk up to it.



Ely was accepted in the National Sculpture Society's Group show at Naples Botanical Gardens in Naples Florida. 



Bubbles in ice.

No comments: