Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Great Purple Fringed Orchid expedition


We heard a rumor that Purple Fringed Orchids had been spotted on Yellowbank so we went out to find them. They're not around streams but since we were in the area, might as well explore here too, no telling what you might see...


Like crawdads.Saw lots of crawdads.

This was in the woods away from the stream. Kind of purple but not an orchid,I think this might be Apple of Peru.


No way would anyone confuse this with what we're looking for, though this is interesting - this is a parasitic vine, I've never seen it in bloom before.

I think that this is Enchanter's Nightshade, at least that's the closest I could find in the guidebook, probably wrong, but I liked the name...

This tends towards purple but this is Meadow Rue

I have no idea what this is, I went all through my guide book too....

This is partridge pea. Look closely and you will see a well camouflaged spider.

A close-up of Red Clover


This is a plant growing on a rock in the stream I don't know what kind it is, but it has a really interesting texture.


This is a close-up of Sumac flowers

This is an odd flower, I have no idea what it is.

Never did see the Orchids, but we saw a lot of other things, ending with this caterpillar (don't know the species) eating a Gentian flower. Just have to try for those Orchids next year...

No comments: