Sunday, January 17, 2010

Foam

After Don and Steve had made the armature, it was time for me to add foam, to take up the bulk spaces in the sculpture.

I got pink construction foam at Home Depots to use on the sculpture. It comes in 8 foot sections - kind of a problem to get into a car. I had a pocket knife ready to cut it down myself, but they had a saw there and offered to cut it down in 2 foot sections. How nice!

I measured the torso of the maquette and cut two blocks of foam to fit. I held each piece up to the armature and traced around it with a magic marker. I cut out the section of foam, so that it fit neatly over the pipe. I am using a light flexible knife to cut the foam. A heavy knife has a tendency to break chunks out, instead of cut.

I use Elmer's Glue-All to attach the pieces of foam to each other. I have used Liquid Nail in the past, but found that it crept into the clay. I prefer Elmer's, as it is non-toxic. However, it is messy and leaves lots of drips!

Here are two pieces of foam on the woman's armature. In the seam, you can see the glue that I have applied.

The larger pieces of foam have been attached to the armature. I will let the glue dry a little before trimming down the foam (so that it will be well within the finished sculpture). I measure various points on the maquette to make sure of this.

Wires are put into the pipe for the fingers of the hands.

I have trimmed down the foam and cut off most of the skewers - they will stay in the foam and act to stabilize it. I will add wires for the children's hands and foam to block out the little girl's dress. Then I will start packing on clay.

I drove out during the recent snowstorm to look for interesting shots. This is our neighbors house, just down the road. The Ohio river is right behind it. The house, on the hill behind it, is in Indana.

After a snow, it is fun to get out and look for tracks. These are on the creek. It has a great graphic quality; the tracks leaving dark marks in the snow and the white areas surrounding the tracks in the melting area of the creek. I think these are fox tracks.

No comments: