Sunday, January 3, 2010

Studio move, and beginning the sculpture for the Hux Cancer Center


My new studio used to be the stone studio and it was filled with dust. Stone dust and oil clay do not mix; before I could move my sculpture materials in, the dust had to go. Our neighbor, Steve Mcmillen, helped us out immensely by cleaning out all the dust. After all the wheelbarrows of dust have been shoveled out, he used a leaf blower to blow out a good deal of dust. He finished up with a powerwasher, as you can see above.

I loaded everything into buckets (this is just a small part of my move). I have also brought my smaller sculptures (they are on the bench against the wall) to keep me company. The storage cabinets still need to be moved, so that everything can be put away.

I have to recycle the clay from the Home of the Innocents sculptures. The sculptures are cut down into chunks (see bucket on lower right), then the chunks are put into a pan, which is set on a heater (on left side of photo). It is
covered with aluminum foil and a towel which help keep the heat in. Heating the clay makes it soft and easier to work. I form it into small rolls, which go into their own bucket (top right of photo). As I form it, I remove any bits of foam or plaster left over from the last sculpture project.

Don and I went to Bark's Welding supply in Corydon Indiana to buy the pipe and welding rod for the sculpture.

Inside Bark's Welding Supply is the band saw on which the metal pipe was cut.

I had some people come in and model for me, to make sure that the scale maquette is accurate before enlarging. The life studies pointed out areas that needed improvement. (Subtle, but important for the final piece).

The first step in creating this work involves making the metal armature, which is a stick figure in the pose of each person in the sculpture.

These are the dimensions of the woman, measured at different points. The armature for the arms of the figures will terminate near the wrists. Wooden dowels and wire will form the hands.

My secret weapon for enlarging sculptures is the proportion wheel. It is actually designed for use in graphic arts to determine
percentage of enlargement or reduction. But, it's great for sculpture, as you can set your scale to any proportion. Find the measurement of your maquette on the inside wheel and then the measurement on the outside wheel tells you the measurement on the sculpture.

...and finishing this post with some wildlife shots. This is a Red Bellied Woodpecker on the sill of the old clay studio.

Here is a doe that was near the new clay studio. I managed to get a photo before she realized I was there and ran away....

"Oh, NO!" - Mr. Bill

1 comment:

Steve sculpts critters said...

I did similar things with a photocopier, diagrams and key measurements, but I wish I'd known about this other method which is MUCH simpler and more direct, and gives you almost instant proportionally enlarged sizes for any part you like...
http://steveworthingtonart.blogspot.com/2010/02/how-this-way-of-enlarging-your-work-by.html