Tuesday, June 1, 2010

More finishing, Yew Dell opening

I go over various areas smoothing some, detailing others.


I use a rake tool to finish off the bottom of the womans shoe.


Making a nice edge on the mans sleeve.


I use a brush and orange oil to smooth areas of the mans hand.


A view of the almost completed sculpture.


And from another angle.


Another angle



Yet another angle. I like to make a sculpture interesting from all sides.



This Friday the garden sculpture show opened at Yew Dell Gardens in Crestwood. We had a nice crowd and good sales. By the end of the weekend there were over $20,000.00 in sales and the show will be up until August 1st.


The show has a wide range of styles and mediums. This metal sculpture is by Tom Butsch.



"Don's Limestone sculpture entitled "Nexus"






Glass and steel cattails entitled "Glasstails" by Brian Holden and Paul Nelson.


This is a limestone and bronze sculpture by Wyatt Gragg entitled "Garden Doves".


This is one of my sculptures in the show. She is Demeter from Greek myth, parting the night searching for her daughter Persephone. This piece sold at the opening. Other people whose work has sold are - Caren Cunningham (who sold all her work), David Caudill, Wyatt Gragg, Al Nelson, John McCarthy, Paul Nelson and Bryan Holden, Brian Newton and Karen Terhune.
But as the show will be up for another 2 months I'm sure there will be lots more sales.


Here is something a little different, a black fly with white eyes.


One of my favorite native wildflowers, Indian Pink.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go on the Yew Dell sales! I must have just missed you and Don. I arrived late with a friend, but we had a beer and a stroll around the gardens.