Sunday, January 19, 2014

Finishing and loading the Discovery Muse

I split my time between the different sections of the Muse.  Switching between the sections helps keep my eye "fresh". If you look closely at the head you can see the crayon marks on the forehead. There are marks (such as the hairline that needs to be dropped, numbers to indicate measurements at different points, etc.  The black mark on the end of the nose gives me a frame of reference when measuring all the other points on the head. I am beginning to establish the sections of hair and am determining areas that need to be removed.  The area at the back corner is a bit flat and needs to curve just a bit more...

To round the back of the head I used the large angle-grinder in the photo to cut across the corners of the original block that was the back of the head. As I continued cutting the corners it became less like a square and more rounded (look back at previous posts to see the more of this process)

As I round the head I begin to cut the shapes of the hair.  In looking at the head I realize I made a mistake in the model.  In the model, the hair comes all the way down to the bottom of the stone.  That would be fine if the woman were standing upright, but as she is lying down I realize I have to change the line of the hair - the bottom of the hair should go up towards the shoulder .

I have defined the hair and deepened the line of the hair.  I will remove the stone beneath the line to allow for the earth and sod.

Padgett crane was employed to move the various sections of the Muse out and load them on the waiting flatbed trucks.

George from Mercer Trucking watches as the head is lifted onto his truck.

The leg is lifted...

Onto the truck it goes, Don is there to make sure the lift goes smoothly...

One of the hands is strapped down and ready to go.....destination- Orlando, Florida!
 m

No comments: