Tuesday, March 3, 2015

It's still cold, so.....

We have had a bit of snow and cold lately with more on the way according to the weather forecast.  This is the predator from Predator and Prey peeking out from the snow.  No carving outside when there is this much snow on the ground!
Ice has run down the back of the Lion.

A few icicles but for the most part the lion is not taking weather, except....

There is some precipitation running down the side of the sculpture.  I have not beveled the top enough in to keep rain flowing to the back and away from carved areas.  I need to move the scaffolding back to this side and recut, I haven't been able to remove enough stone by working on top, I need to work from the side so I can better judge how much stone to remove and the angle of the cut.

As I can't work outside I have been working inside on "The Kid" (that's a working title).  I bought shoes so I can more accurately represent The Kids footware.

I make the shoes a little big and carve back the forms.  I am also doing laces instead of Velcro fasteners.

I tip The Kid back to work on the underside of the face, neck, arms, etc.  Amazing how much work I discovered!

I enjoyed making my last clay models so much I decided on another as I am a bit snowbound in the house.  I discovered a video on youtube of Sergei Polunin dancing to "Take me to church" by Hozier.  I have also been fascinated by dance and gymnasts and so decided to try my hand on this portrait of the dancer.  It starts out fairly horrible, I have constructed it in a similar manner to the Earth Dreamer, the head and chest are hollow, filled with damp paper towels, with a wood dowel that runs from the board to the top of the head for stability. 

Better though still fairly horrible.  I am working with reference from the internet.

I move the piece from the computer to the front room and work from memory.  For some reason  I do better (sometimes) working from memory.

I add an arm...

And another arm.  Both arms need a lot of work.  I am using clay as a prop under the left upper arm and a wooden clay working tool and clay as a prop for the upper arm.

With these wintery conditions, I seem to spend half my time feeding birds

A sunflower seed fell into melting ice and refroze.  This is on a partially finished pink marble sculpture.

No comments: