Sunday, September 18, 2011

Daphne continues, an art show and a friend and neighbor turns 50

This picture is showing how I will handle interior leaves. Just under the swirl of leaves in the top half of the picture you can see a pattern in the stone beneath them. This is how I plan to handle all the interior sections. I will give an indication of leaves using a round diamond burr. This will help keep the movement I'm looking for in the piece without doing all those individual leaves.





On Daphnes right hand I use a diamond wheel on a die grinder to cut between the fingers. This is how I make deep shadows between the fingers.





You notice I don't cut between the knuckles. I used a pistol grip sander to smooth out the form of the hand then came back with a round burr on a die grinder to form the knuckles and bones of the hand. The areas that have been formed by the burr have a lighter appearance. Once I have refined it further I will sand the whole area. Though I won't use a sander, I will hand sand it with 80 grit paper.



These are some of the burrs I use. The ones on the left are for more suble carving, the ones on the right are for hard edges and deep crevices.






Al Gorman (in the grey jacket between the rabbit and the man sculpture) and Scott Scarboro have a show at Bellarmine University's McGrath Gallery. Al makes people and creatures from styrofoam and driftwood he finds at the Falls of the Ohio. He posts his explorations at the falls and his sculptures on his blog, http://artistatexit0.wordpress.com/ . Scott Scarboro had a lot of fun work (the large paintings on the wall are his) as well as some kinetic sculptures that are really cool. On the right side of the photo is an old friend of mine, Geoff Carr. He used to photograph my paper sculptures long, long ago...



A heron by Al Gorman, the inspiration for this piece is a common sight at the falls.





Saturday we were invited to our friend and neighbor's 50th birthday party. His name is Steve and he has been on earlier blogs doing molds on the Home of the Innocents sculptures and the Light of Hope and Healing. He's also had us to his house for his 4th of July and Halloween parties which are lots of fun...





The party was held at the Bourbon Bistro. The food was great, a fun time was had by all...





The weather has been very nice lately and we left the door open. Unfortunately a hummingbird flew in and then found it couldn't get back out. It was between the blinds and the window which made release really easy. Just open the window, and away he flew....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to see you both at my opening and thanks for the shout-out! Glad that hummingbird made it out okay.

Meg said...

You're quite welcome. It was great to see you all too.