Monday, June 10, 2013

Work on Discoverys head and face

I remove stone from the top of the head of the sculpture and down the side using an angle grinder.  I mark out areas that need to be removed with crosshatched lines.  Toward the back of the head there are vertical lines.  These were made with the grinder, I will then either cut them off with the grinder or knock them off with a hammer.
I have removed the knot of stone from that was on this side of the head.  I have marked lines on either side of the face that need to be removed as the face is too wide.  This section will be angled back taking off the over-prominent cheekbones.  I also marked in the area under the chin.  This is a good way to check whether you want to remove a section of stone, kind of live with it before you commit to cutting it off.
I need to set the corner of the mouth back.   The x to the right is the corner as seen from the front, the x to the left is the corner as seen from the side.  Hope that makes sense.The line of the cheek is too sharp and straight up and down.  The area leading to the eyes needs to slope back more.  Also I need to set the corner of the eye, at this point it is far too forward.
I begin cutting the corner from the side.
Don takes a picture of me while I work.
Drawing a line from the center of the eye to the mouth helps confirm where the corner should be.  Also measure from several different positions to ensure the correct position.
I start to cut the eye in..
A father cardinal feeds its youngster.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.