Monday, May 3, 2010

Finishing the Sculpture

I am now finishing the Terre Haute sculpture, tightening everything up. Smoothing the surface is an important part of finishing. I will show a couple of tools to obtain a smooth surface.

I am using a clay shaper which has a flexible rubber tip to smooth out the faces.
For larger areas, I use a metal palette tool.
Here, I am using the tool to smooth the arm. I move the tool gently over the suface, removing small amounts of clay in each pass.
This is the sculpture at its present stage. I have spent a great deal of time getting the hands in the proper postition to support the globe. Almost there!

I saw this spider, backlit by the light in the kitchen. It's about an inch long.

A couple of Red Headed Woodpeckers have visited the feeding station. I think these are the prettiest of all the woodpeckers.

No comments: