Sunday, October 10, 2010

Grizzly sculpture continues, a visit to the bears final destination and a birthday party

The mother bear is holding the cub she is cleaning with both front paws. The left paw crosses over her chest and I am defining this area. This is slow work as the area fills up with dust making it difficult to read the form, so I have to repeatedly use the air hose to blow out the dust and make sure of what I am carving. I am also beginning to block out the cubs left ear another area I have to be careful of as the ear is right against it's mother's leg.
I have carved the mother bears belly more deeply which helps defines the legs and I have been further refining the mother bears feet.


Here is the bear from the left side. I had applied more of a fur texture to the cub and I am also getting better definition in the mother bears head and shoulders.


Here are most of the bear faces. It has taken a bit of time to get these the way I want, everything is so close I have had to be careful when working on one cubs face not to inadvertantly cut into the other cubs nose or paw. It has involved a lot of climbing up and down and working from various angles to make sure of what needs to come off. I have used a timber crayon to draw on the mouths. If I don't like the mark I can always erase it with sandpaper. Mark twice (or maybe 7 times) cut once, they say.

This play area is where the bear will be placed when it is completed. The round concrete pad under the green planter is it's final destination.






October 8th was my nephew Joeys 6th birthday, so I had to be there to see him blow out the candles and deliver my present to him.





Here is Joe in the present I gave him, a Hoberman Sphere. He really had a lot of fun playing with it and in it.




Here is a little guy that landed on me. I put him on a plant, but he came back as he was licking salt (or sweat) off my hand.







No comments: