Sunday, October 3, 2010

Meanwhile, back at the Bear...

I used a 4" angle-grinder to block out the mother bear's foot and claws. I will be back to further define the foot later.
I opened up the areas between the cub's legs and the mother with a die grinder. A hammer drill would be faster, but it might risk cracking the stone, as the cub's leg is not very thick. So, I opt for the slower, but safer, route of grinding.

I have further defined this whole side of the mother bear ( shoulder still needs work). I have been concentrating on feet and opening up the interior spaces of the sculpture, such as under the mother's head and back foot, etc.

Coming around the side of the piece, you can see that I have applied hair texture. I will be back for a couple more passes, to add dimension. The cubs are almost completely blocked, then they will be refined and furred.
The rear view of the sculpture.

This is how the cub on the belly looked, not too long ago. I had the left front paw too high, so I decided to move the elbow up and the paw down.
I have cut the paw down, so that the pad is against the mother's leg.
Another view.
Our neighbors invited us to their daughter's birthday pary at Jailhouse Pizza in Brandenburg, KY. It is in the old jail that overlooks the Ohio River. You can eat your pizza in the old jail cells which are made of heavy steel. Though everyone is interested in looking, most eat elsewhere in the Pizzaria.
The door leading to the dining area cell. (Not especially welcoming- diners check in, but they don't check out).
One of Abrayah's birthday gifts - cash - can't go wrong with cash.
(One size fits all).
This is a green heron in the slough.

No comments: